Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Socktoberfest Questions

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

Back in January of this year I developed a case of vertigo. It lasted for 3 months. Laying down was bad, standing up was bad (let alone moving), the computer screen made me dizzy, moving my head to much same thing. So I was stuck on my ass for quite a while. I had to do something and I had got a new knitting book for Christmas. So I taught myself to read a pattern and knitting became my new favorite hobby. Socks were always something I wanted to do because I love wearing knitted socks.

What was your first pair?

I didn't adventure into socks until my boss handed me a description of sockwars. It was just so up my alley that I had to sign up. My first completed pair of socks were for a complete stranger and she loves them.

How have they "held up" over time?

Don't know we'll have to see.

What would you have done differently?

Nothing on that pair but I did do a different pattern for myself starting toe up and realised that cuff down is much easier because casting off toe up has to be done very loosely (took me four tries) to get them around your heel. The pair I made still have barely enough give to get them on easily.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

My favorite so far for socks was the Australian DK 100% marino that I made nuttnbunny's socks out of. I am currently making a pair of wristlets for myself out of the left over yarn (not quite enough for socks).

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I like to knit them cuff down using the Magic Loop method two or more at a time. I currently have two pairs of kids socks on the needle right now. My kids felt left out that I had knitted socks & my Target had some but not them. My youngest daughter picked out a self striping yarn from Regia herself.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I'm not sure yet - as long as it looks good I don't care.

However I am thinking that I need to have a re-enforced toe for my youngest. All her socks get holes in the toe and I've never been one for darning. My grandmother did teach me how to darn though, she always fixed everyone's socks. She didn't knit but boy could she mend anything you gave her. I guess that's what happens when you raise 8 kids.

How many pairs have you made?

I have completed 2 pairs. I have 2 more on the needles and yarn for 3 more. What can I say I'm hooked.

1 comment:

nuttnbunny said...

Oh - more than love them! I've handwashed and line dried them. In the Darwinian laundry scheme of our home that really says something.